GORILLA VS. BEAR has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://gorillavsbear.net
and update your bookmarks.



Friday, December 01, 2006

Nike + LCD Soundsystem



Okay, this has been out for a while, but in case you weren't aware, Nike commissioned LCD Soundsystem to create 45:33, the latest Nike+ Original Run "run-track". Well, I figured I'd give this a go, for a couple of reasons. First, I wanted to compare it to my experience with the Crystal Method one, since I like LCD Soundsystem infinitely more than I like those jokers. Plus, the dude from Of Montreal named this little experiment his #1 album of the year(!?) And while we're not Of Montreal superfans or anything, we have to admit that did kinda pique our interest. And finally, my fat ass could use some exercise, and if my man James Murphy (who is a runner himself) is willing to create a 45-minute track to try to motivate me, then I guess I'm willing to get out there and test it out.

The mix starts out a little too slow, even for warmup purposes, finally building to a joggable pace at around the 2:45 mark. However, I'm totally down with James Murphy's theory that "hard, fast, propulsive music is NOT the best running music..." (which is why I sometimes run to Sigur Ros.) Part of Murphy's genius is that he keeps 45:33 extremely repetitive throughout, which is conducive to a long, evenly paced run. But, each time I felt boredom creeping in, Murphy adds in another interesting signature LCD element (horns or vocals or synths or whatever) to keep you motivated. I don't know if he consulted scientists or experts or nerds or something, or if it was the fact that I'd never heard the mix before I embarked on my run, but everything seems perfectly laid out.

My one major problem with 45:33 is that, like the Crystal Method mix, it's too damn long. I hate running at all, and I sure as hell hate running for 45 minutes straight. So I guess if you're an avid runner, the length would be okay, but I'd be happier if it was more like 30 minutes.

Conclusion: it's no album of the year candidate (sorry Of Montreal guy) and like I said, I don't run for 45 minutes straight anyway. Ever. But if you're weird and you like to run a lot, it's definitely worth the $9.99.

Full disclosure: Nike didn't give me anything for writing this review. But if they're reading, I could use some of these Dunks or maybe even these. Size 11.5, thanks bye.

***************************

elsewhere:


(click for larger poster)

Hi Dallas, have you seen the lineup for "A Spune Christmas 2006" yet? The Starlight Mints are coming to town, and Spune's done an outstanding job of assembling a lineup of some of our best local bands as well (and we're not just saying that because we're one of the proud sponsors). Plus it's only, like, a dollar a band, so get your tickets now. View all the event info here.

Bookmark and Share

20 comments:

Blogger RodV said...

You can forget about the Unkles.

6:26 PM  
Blogger Elliott said...

i was under the impression that the slow part in the beginning of the track was meant to be stretching/warming up, so thats maybe just 30-35min of running, which is reasonable

7:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lolz at "stretching"

11:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are always meant to start a long run with a few minutes of walkingg to get your heart rate up a bit, they you slowly increase

just like you are supposed to end a long run with some walking too
not good to start suddenly and stop suddenly
that said, to me it's not worth teh 9.99 and I like being fat

when will ou announce your top 20 of the year?

1:18 AM  
Anonymous David said...

I guess you can use the track any way you want it, but the beginning is so great to me I can't not run to it.

1:15 PM  
Anonymous uwmryan said...

I have tried to run to this mix a handful of times. I start heading for shuffle on my ipod about 20-23 mins in. I like the music a lot, but not for the purpose that it was intended.

Nice post, good idea!

4:05 PM  
Anonymous Ian said...

Well I like to run to it... also I can recommend a bit of minimal techno from James Mowbray for your motivational needs (http://www.jamesmowbray.com). Darned special stuff.

7:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris, and chance of tossing my new music blog a bone and linking to us...I'm linked to you!

Kip

www.rocksellout.com

2:26 AM  
Blogger k. said...

those mo-wax kicks are very very cool.

2:45 PM  
Anonymous johngross said...

i like when he says (all chopped and screwed) "shame on you." shame on you for eating all that cheese! shame on you for drinking all that beer! now you have to RUN it off! just do it!

10:48 AM  
Blogger stonedranger said...

good post chris. I actually really like listening to this CD while running, but I also think its good for pre party/dance/etc.

12:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I strongly dissagre, the LCD mix is just incredible. However, this is not a good mix to listen to, this is an incredible mix to listen to while you're running. It can be boring to listen to it if you're not moving.
-
It's nice that LCD took good care of making a great mix for running instead of doing their thing regardless of the project's unique needs.

10:52 PM  
Blogger leoni said...

YES! I thought I was the only one that runs to Sigur Rós.

Glósóli makes me feel like I'm flying...

4:30 PM  
Anonymous IBM laptop lcd screen repair said...

Hey
Chris
David
Garrison
:)
Sounds great that you know all about your stuff! Its intriguing when you speak to someone who knows what they speak about, as oppose to reciting it from someone else they learned from. I can see you are very experienced and with your credentials it is quite obvious that you will make it far in life, or have already made it far in life :)

6:40 PM  
Blogger game gold said...

On account of I have latale online gold , I am not afraid of the lonely. At that time I do not know the meaning of it. Later I buy latale gold . I have no latale money , I will feel very anxious. Why I buy latale online gold , because it gives me such a warm place. I have cheap latale gold .

1:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

^^ nice blog!! ^@^

徵信, 徵信, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信社, 徵信社, 感情挽回, 婚姻挽回, 挽回婚姻, 挽回感情, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信, 捉姦, 徵信公司, 通姦, 通姦罪, 抓姦, 抓猴, 捉猴, 捉姦, 監聽, 調查跟蹤, 反跟蹤, 外遇問題, 徵信, 捉姦, 女人徵信, 女子徵信, 外遇問題, 女子徵信, 徵信社, 外遇, 徵信公司, 徵信網, 外遇蒐證, 抓姦, 抓猴, 捉猴, 調查跟蹤, 反跟蹤, 感情挽回, 挽回感情, 婚姻挽回, 挽回婚姻, 外遇沖開, 抓姦, 女子徵信, 外遇蒐證, 外遇, 通姦, 通姦罪, 贍養費, 徵信, 徵信社, 抓姦, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信公司, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信公司, 徵信社, 徵信公司, 女人徵信, 外遇

徵信, 徵信網, 徵信社, 徵信網, 外遇, 徵信, 徵信社, 抓姦, 徵信, 女人徵信, 徵信社, 女人徵信社, 外遇, 抓姦, 徵信公司, 徵信社, 徵信社, 徵信社, 徵信社, 徵信社, 徵信社, 女人徵信社, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 女子徵信社, 女子徵信社, 女子徵信社, 女子徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社,

8:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

^^ nice blog!! thanks a lot! ^^

徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 離婚, 離婚,

徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 征信, 征信, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 征信, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信社, 徵信社, 徵信

8:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a new player , you may need some game guides or information to enhance yourself.
kal geons is one of the hardest theme for every class at the beginning . You must have a good way to manage your kal gold.If yor are a lucky guy ,you can earn so many kal online geons by yourself . But if you are a not , I just find a nice way to get kal online gold. If you need , you can buy kalonline Geons at our website . Go to the related page and check the detailed information . Once you have any question , you can connect our customer service at any time .

9:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

福~
「朵
語‧,最一件事,就。好,你西.........................................................................................................................................................................................

9:33 AM  
Blogger 123456 said...

货架上海货架苏州货架天津货架青岛货架重庆货架仓储货架深圳货架货架公司货架设备南京货架货架厂货架厂家广东货架上海货架公司上海货架厂货架制作货架设计广州货架服装货架北京货架悬臂式货架悬臂货架通廊式货架贯通货架贯通式货架驶入式货架重型仓储货架移动式货架生产货架货架制造货架配件货架加工销售货架浙江货架杭州货架展示货架货架价格深圳货架厂移动货架中型货架重力式货架中量型货架横梁式货架轻型货架轻量型货架广州货架厂托盘货架重型货架重量型货架角钢货架万能角钢货架不锈钢货架精品货架库房货架仓库货架阁楼式货架阁楼货架图书货架音像货架百变货架流利条东莞货架商场货架设备货架货架采购求购货架物流货架线棒货架线棒仓储设备苏州仓储设备仓储设备公司仓储设备有限公司北京仓储设备南京仓储设备物流设备北京物流设备南京物流设备苏州物流设备中国物流设备物流设备公司物流设备有限公司上海物流设备仓储物流设备超市设备超市货架收银台托盘木托盘塑料托盘纸托盘出口托盘上海托盘托盘厂熏蒸托盘深圳托盘叉车托盘广东托盘免熏蒸托盘

9:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

... ...